Sunday, December 6, 2009

Here is a prototype of what we want a "listening party" to look like. Participants are invited to check out the piece of music and leave responses on the blog. The "party" aspect comes from the idea that we want to plan on posting, having people look at, and respond to something as a group within a certain time frame.

We will include some direction to the conversation by asking questions or providing information about the work of art/who created it/ its cultural significance, etc.

Here are the questions/information/topics for the prototype "party"...

1. How are the words and their meaning shaped by the music Mahler composed?

2. Can you relate to the character in the song? If so, how? If not, why?

3. The movie "Coffee and Cigarettes" by Jim Jarmusch includes a vignette in which this song plays a role. If anyone has seen the movie, how does hearing the song in this way affect your understanding of the film?

All comments are welcome. We intend to present materials that we think are important, but don't be afraid to respectfully express contrary opinions.






Ich bin der Welt abhanden gekommen,
Mit der ich sonst viele Zeit verdorben,
Sie hat so lange nichts von mir vernommen,
Sie mag wohl glauben, ich sei gestorben!

Es ist mir auch gar nichts daran gelegen,
Ob sie mich für gestorben hält,
Ich kann auch gar nichts sagen dagegen,
Denn wirklich bin ich gestorben der Welt.

Ich bin gestorben dem Weltgetümmel,
Und ruh' in einem stillen Gebiet!
Ich leb' allein in meinem Himmel,
In meinem Lieben, in meinem Lied!


English translation by Emily Ezust taken from:
http://www.recmusic.org/lieder/get_text.html

I am lost to the world
with which I used to waste so much time,
It has heard nothing from me for so long
that it may very well believe that I am dead!

It is of no consequence to me
Whether it thinks me dead;
I cannot deny it,
for I really am dead to the world.

I am dead to the world's tumult,
And I rest in a quiet realm!
I live alone in my heaven,
In my love and in my song!

2 comments:

  1. I cannot relate to this character. I am very much involved in my world. On one hand it seems like a very depressing state, to be lost to the world. On the other hand, it seems kinda nice to be "dead" to all of the world's problems.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is a certain haunting, depressive quality to Mahler's music and a preoccupation with Death, brought on by the early death of his own son. Mahler spoke of this piece as "I myself" and wanted to bring forward the sense of Beingness of heaven, and that's reflected in the music and the lyrics/poetry. I'm not too keen on the soloist's interpretation - a little too lounge-lizard for the character of the piece.
    I also went and checked out Coffee and Cigarettes - the song and the movie I feel are good reflections of each other. Peaceful.

    ReplyDelete